Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pride goeth before a fall.

So, we've had a hydraulic leak on our tractor for awhile now.  DH has been busy traveling alot with work, and didn't have time to get to it.  A couple weeks ago, he decreed that no one should use the tractor anymore because the leak had gotten so large.

This past weekend, he finally had time to take off the hydraulic line--a rigid metal one, unfortunately, instead of a nice flexible one.  He said it was a bear to get off and that it obviously was one of the first parts put on during the original tractor assembly:  several other important lines and wires crossed and covered it in various places, and one end fastened under the steel frame that the seat attaches to.

On Monday afternoon, I took the line in to our local farm repair shop to be welded. (Love, love, love the farm repair shop!  They are awesome at welding just about anything under the sun, and creating things with metal.  So glad it hasn't yet become obsolete in my neck of the woods).  They welded it up and I retrieved it on Tuesday.

Then it was up to DH to put the line back on the tractor.  Since I have much skinnier hands and fingers than he does, I was drafted into being his assistant for this particular surgery.  Which took 3.5 hours!!!  To get one stinkin' line fished back over, under, and through all those other pieces, then lined up at exactly the correct angle to be bolted down into place.  It was not a fun 3.5 hours, let me tell you.  I was envisioning divorce papers with "broken tractor" written in the line "Reason For Divorce".

But when it was finally finished, I was so proud to have been a part of the tractor repair.  We'd done it ourselves instead of paying big bucks to have the tractor dealer fix it for us.  Woo hoo!  Add another skill to my resume!

I should know better than to go getting a puffed up head.  Because yesterday my Suburban developed a huge leak in the gas line. And DH has important stuff going on at work today, he can't go in late or take off early.  And he needs the Suburban tomorrow morning for a trip. Pride goeth before a fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment