Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tuesday Breakfast

A typical weekday breakfast at this little place here in the spring is fried eggs.  Eggs are abundant in the spring, so we eat a lot of them.  In the fall and winter, breakfast is usually less egg-intensive, like pancakes or muffins (1 egg for a whole batch rather than 1-2 eggs per person).  Normally I'm a one egg, one piece of toast person, whereas DH prefers two of each for his morning meal.

This morning, however, I was feeling a little more hungry than one egg.  When I opened the fridge to retrieve the egg carton, debating one egg or two for myself today, my eyes fell upon the carton of turkey eggs--wide open, because it's a chicken egg-sized carton, and turkey eggs are almost twice as big, so the lid won't close.

Perfect!  It would still be a one-egg day for me, just a rather bit bigger egg.

Turkey egg on the left, large chicken egg on right.

I admit, the first time I ate a turkey egg (late last fall, the first time we had turkeys old enough to lay eggs!), I was a bit afraid.  Would I die?  Would it taste awful? Would it have a yucky feel in my mouth?  It was weird, right?  Eating a turkey egg.  Who does that?

I do!  They are delicious!  I don't notice any taste difference between the turkey eggs and the chicken eggs.  Maybe because they eat the same diet. 

They look the same while cooking:



They look the same on my plate, if maybe a bit larger, like as large as my slice of toast  ;0)  :



They have the same feel in my mouth (not yucky at all), although I like to think the turkey egg yolk is maybe just a wee bit creamier than a chicken yolk.  The jury is still out on that one, since I have not yet convinced the kids and DH to eat a fried turkey egg, only giant deviled eggs made with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment