Friday, November 11, 2011

First Snow of the Year

Yesterday afternoon, the air turned cold enough to finally get us some white stuff. 

The deck, 23 hours ago.

Unfortunately, today the sun came out and melted it.  Wah.  I want a good couple of inches on the ground right about now.

Why, when so many people dread the coming of winter, am I wanting to see snow?  Because Tuesday I will be in the woods looking for these:


and they are much easier to track in the snow.  Rain makes them about impossible to find unless they drop in the spot you shoot them, and that doesn't happen very often. (Although I've done it once, and so has DS1 and DH.  Very convenient.)

We have seen at least a dozen different bucks on the property in the last month, more than half of which are sporting 6 points or more.  If DH or I take a buck, it will be 8 points minimum, letting the smaller ones go another year to grow bigger.  The kids can take the 6's, but the 4's and the spikes are off limits.  And until the first deer gets in the freezer, I'm not above taking a nice large doe.  The doe population in our area is huge.

So stay tuned, I'm hoping to remember to take the camera to the woods with me next week and share some nice photos of what it's like to be in the deer blind and the tree stand.  Even if no deer meander my way, it's always a peaceful and enjoyable time out communing with nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment