Thursday, November 10, 2011

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

Waiting can be so difficult.  We want things our way, and we want our way NOW! 

Currently, I am waiting for a head cold to go away.  It came on suddenly yesterday afternoon. I don't want to have it, I'd prefer it to have been gone when I woke up this morning, and I'm not thrilled to be waiting for my body's immune system to kick germ butts and get rid of it.  Which is really kind of petty of me, since I rarely get sick.  I should be thankful for my normally very strong immune system.

But this post is not really about having a cold.  It's about all the things getting fixed around this little place here this week and next.  Things that have been put off for months, and, in a few cases, years.   Things we didn't have the money to fix because we were so strapped by the rotten economy since about 2007.  Things DH wasn't about to hire someone else to fix because he's perfectly capable of doing them himself, had he the time (which his job hadn't afforded him because of increased travel demands).  Things we kind of got used to being broken, and just worked around.

I cannot tell you how excited I am about what the UPS man is bringing me in the next few days:

--a new handle/latch for the dishwasher (that broke this summer),

--a new motherboard for my wall ovens (the display on which died in 2006 or so, but the ovens still heat and cook fine without it, you just can't tell what the temperature in the oven is, if it's on bake, broil, convection or clean, or what time it is. . .),

--a new igniter for the gas cooktop that we've been manually lighting with kitchen matches for about two years now (and boy, has the quality of kitchen matches declined in that short amount of time.)

Not to mention that at this very moment, DH is at the home improvement store purchasing parts to fix my drippy kitchen faucet and boards to replace the deck of our utility trailer with.  Woo hoo!  No more annoying drips, and I can load hay on the trailer without falling through the multitude of rotten spots. 

I am a happy camper.  :0)  Would I have been so geeked about a silly little dishwasher latch if we'd been able to run out and replace it the day it broke?  No.  Or the oven motherboard?  The parts to stop the drip from the faucet?  No, and no.  They are just dumb things.  But because we had to wait, we now appreciate them more.

I can even look at this head cold a little more positively: I'm being given a free pass to sit around and rest rather than work at the warp speed most people expect of me because that's the pace they know me to be capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment