Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Been Doing a Bit of Sewing

You'd think those four mermaid costumes I made in January and February for the high school play would have burned me out on sewing.  Nope!  I'm not making clothing for a while, LOL, but I do have the urge to sew quilt blocks.  I've worked on several to add to a top that began as a quilt block sewing bee I participated in last year on one of the few internet forums I frequent.  I'm hoping to make it into a wall hanging for the long, empty wall in my mudroom that is across from the wall with our row of a dozen coat pegs (2 pegs for each occupant of the house, back when we were six under one roof).  DD1's graduation is only a bit more than two months away, and if I could have the wall hanging finished and up for her open house, that would be great.

Then on Friday I received fabric for a block in another forum quilt I participate in three to four times a year.  So, I've been stealing off to myself for a half hour at a time lately to cut and sew pieces.  Today I finished the block.  I took a picture to remember it by before I mail it off and eagerly await to see who the lucky winner (drawn at random from those who participated in this forum quilt) is of all the blocks made--there are usually 20-26 participants in each forum quilt.

The pattern is called "postage stamp".  I think you can see why.  It was fun to make, and challenging trying to line up all those tiny (1 1/2" before sewing) squares.  I used mostly scrap fabrics from my stash, the tan with the rosebuds/roses and stripes was the provided fabric from the forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment