Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Chickens to Auction Update

Got a check in the mail today from the local auction, the place I took two older hens and my 'extra' rooster to.  Since the prices from last Saturday's auction haven't been posted online yet, I have been wondering what my poultry culling fetched.

$8.50 a bird!  Woo hoo!  I'm a happy lady!  I really only wanted to pare down my flock and didn't feel like beheading the ones who needed to go.  They make rather a tough meal, good only for soup stock, really.  So to get over eight dollars per bird for them was a welcome surprise.

Now I'm looking at the rest of the flock with a critical eye. . . Perhaps I shall take a few more of the older hens to auction this weekend. . .  For maximum feed efficiency any hen older than a year could go, and that would still leave me with about a dozen currently laying.  A dozen eggs a day is quite enough, even when I'm baking like a fiend during the farmers' market season.

No comments:

Post a Comment