Thursday, April 5, 2012

My Dressage Fairy Godmother

Last week, my dressage fairy godmother waved her magic wand over me.  Did she make me a Grand Prix rider?  No.  Did she bring me a new horse?  No.  Did she fix the indoor arena so I could ride on rainy days like the day I was visiting her?  No.

Then what in all the world did she do when she waved that magic wand?

She brought me new breeches!!  Not just one pair, but two pair of never-been-worn, made in Germany, genuine leather full seat breeches.  Purchased by herself on a trip to Germany in the early 1980's.  On that trip she had purchased a few dozen pair of breeches, in various sizes, for herself and to sell to her students and clients back home in the U.S., as at that time full seat breeches were hard to find in America.  Once home, she had put these particular breeches away to save for herself for when she gained more than a little weight (thinking ahead to the inevitable middle age spread.)  However, that day never came, as health issues crept up on her and eventually ended her riding career.

When I told her how great it felt when I rode again after a seven month break (indoor arena not functional this winter), and how since I've lost 20 pounds (yes, 20!!  Hit that on last Monday's weigh-in), my breeches that I've owned for 10 and 12 years are getting baggy, her eyes lit up. 

That was when she asked what size I now wore, and told me she had some breeches that might fit me.  Because of her bad health, she has been unable to ride for nearly a decade.  Those 30 year old brand new breeches would never see a saddle with her.  So she had me try them on.  They fit! Then she gifted them to me.

I am blessed.  I've never owned two new pair of breeches at the same time in my entire 27 years of horse involvement, let alone breeches as nice as these.  For being 30 years old, they sure don't look or feel any different than brand new ones.  The leather seats are still supple and buttery soft.   I can't wait to go ride in them!

my new beige breeches

my new gray breeches

No comments:

Post a Comment