Monday, June 4, 2012

Another Proud Mother Moment

DD1 graduated from high school yesterday.  I cannot express in words, concisely, the pride I feel in her accomplishments thus far in life.  I hope this picture sums it up.


At the beginning of her senior year, she found out her grade point was the second highest in the senior class.  She was pleasantly surprised, since she was number six her junior year.  When she informed me of her ranking, she looked at me and said "I'm going for it.  I want to be Salutatorian."

Of course, I supported her decision and wished her well.  A few months later, I found out that a thousandth of a percent difference in grade point was all that separated the seniors who went into the school year as second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth. 

Gulp. She was going to have to maintain straight A's all year.  A single A- would knock her out.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy for her to pull off, especially taking two AP courses, being involved in National Honor Society as well as Student Council, being Vice-President of the senior class, doing both band and drama, not to mention choir, tutoring a third grade student three days a week (that student has improved immensely this year), playing on the varsity softball team, and having a boyfriend.  That was a heavy load.  She was expecting a lot of herself.

And she did it.  That's my girl. Salutatorian 2012.

She was a child who couldn't sit still and concentrate for long.  Her kindergarten teacher said she had ants in her pants. She struggled with reading, her writing was suggestive of dyslexia.  She and I put in many hours after school working on learning to read and to write clearly  She was not truly reading until second grade.  In fifth grade, she again struggled and we had her reading comprehension evalutated.  We put in more one-on-one time outside of school working on academics. School has not been a walk in the park for her.  But she perservered, and she got stronger.  She set goals, and she accomplished them.

Her plan from here is to go to college and get a degree in elementary education.  She is going to  make a great teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment