Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Squash Recipe #7: Baked Acorn Squash

I confess, this is probably the recipe most people have for cooking squash.  But, since it's been a bit busy around this little place here lately, and I hadn't served squash in nearly a week, I broke down and cooked it this way (one of my least favorites, although DH likes it just fine).

I served it with chicken fried venison steak on (another) night when it was just DH and I home.  A bit off topic, but I do have to say that after 23 years of having children, it is a bit odd on the nights when I find that DD2 is off on some school-related something and there are only two people sitting down to dinner.  Where once-upon-a-time I had to convert 'serves four' recipes to make them serve six, now I'm taking 'serves four' and cutting it in half to make it serve two.  (Hmm, I sense another blog post topic coming on. . . Cooking For Two. . .).

Anyway, back to our squash recipe.
  • Take two smallish acorn squash.
  • Wash them, and cut in half (I did mine at the 'equator' rather than the long way).  
  • Cut a small slice off each bottom so they will sit flat when you want to cook them.
  • Scoop out the seeds and squash guts.
  • Place the four squash halves (or 'bowls')  in a baking dish.
  • Into each of the squash 'bowls', place 1/2 to 1 Tbsp butter (depending on your preference), and a bit of brown sugar (up to 1 Tbsp, again depending on preference).  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  • Pour enough water in the bottom of the baking dish to measure about 1/4".
  • Cover dish with foil, and place into an oven preheated to 400 degrees.
  • Bake about 30 minutes (up to 40, depending on how accurate you oven is and how thick the squash are).
That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment