Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Terribly Yucky Sauce. . . .

Actually, it's really good sauce.  But the first time I made teriyaki sauce, my youngest child thought I said I was making "terribly yucky" sauce.  And the phrase just kind of stuck.

In my quest for made-from-scratch recipes through the years, I have come across some really good ones for things like dressings, sauces, and powdered mixes.  This recipe (as well as some of my other favorites) came from the book  Family Feasts for $75 a Week by Mary Ostyn.  I saved quite a few recipes from her book, and I highly recommend checking it out from your local library, or putting it on your Christmas Wish List.

Teriyaki is a really quick and easy sauce to make.  It only takes about 15 minutes to whip up a batch, which is enough for a couple of meals.  According to the book, it stores well in the fridge for two weeks, but I've never had it around quite that long!

Teriyaki Sauce

1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water 
2 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp ground ginger
1 clove garlic, minced

Whisk together cornstarch and water in a medium-size saucepan.  Whisk in the remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens.

That's all there is to it.  Faster than driving to the grocery store for a bottle of teriyaki sauce.


I cooked up a batch of white rice and some steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot medley), then diced up some of the pork roast leftover from the other night when DH and I had roast with parmesan acorn squash for dinner.  I made 1/2 batch of the teriyaki sauce, heated the diced pork in it while the rice and veggies finished cooking, then served it all for dinner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment