Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Squash Recipe #10 Creamy Butternut Squash Casserole

It's been a long time since I've posted a new squash recipe.  We haven't run out of squash yet, just ran short on ambition and went back to our few tried and true favorite methods of cooking it.  Except for our Super Bowl feast; we made squash "fries" to go along with our BBQ ribs and hot wings, lol.

Last Thursday, however, was DD2's end of the season cheer banquet.  The boys' basketball teams and the cheerleaders and their families got together for a potluck and season highlights.  Which meant I needed a dish to pass. Knowing that nearly everyone would be bringing either meatballs, some sort of pasta (including salads) or desserts, I wanted something different for my contribution. After all, who wants to eat 8 meatball dishes that are basically 3 different flavors, mac & cheese, Greek pasta salad, and 3 pans of brownies, 4 trays of chocolate chip cookies, and those frosted so-soft-they're-mushy sugar cookies from the grocery store?  Not me.  I like a little variety, not to mention some vegetables.

Ahh, vegetables.  That got me thinking. . . Squash in the basement. . . Need a new squash recipe. . .

Allrecipes.com to the rescue!  Here is the one I settled on:  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creamy-Butternut-Squash-Casserole/Detail.aspx.  Mainly because it sounded good and I had all the ingredients for it all ready.  (I really try to avoid making special trips to the store.)

You can highlight and paste the addy if you want to check it out.  Since I made it exactly as the website had it, I don't feel right typing out the recipe for my blog.  Give all the credit where credit is due.  Instead, I'll give you a review.

It was easy to make, tasted great, and went over well at the banquet.  With the protein from the eggs and the cheese, I would think it would make a nice main dish on a night you feel like going vegetarian.

We do that sometimes: eat vegetarian.  Not vegan, of course, with the eggs and cheese, but vegetarian.  Usually only when DH is traveling, though.  He likes hearty meals, with lots of meat.  This is, however a 'side dish' he will eat.  I might even be able to pass it off as a "light" lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment