Sunday, November 3, 2013

Still Knitting. . .

November Thankfulness #3:  I am thankful that I am still knitting.  The lessons I took in January really turned me on to a useful hobby that I enjoy.

My knitting slowed down over the summer, with so many daylight hours and so much outdoor work needing to be done during those daylight hours.  I did manage to knock off a few dish cloths, a pair of socks for DD1's birthday, a pair of socks for DD2's birthday, a shopping bag, and a hat that I am donating to a charity that collects them and sends them to soldiers serving overseas in those months, but didn't spend nearly as many hours knitting as I would have liked to.

I also managed to talk myself into having more than one project on the needles at a time.  Having several different sizes and types of needles now makes this possible.  Because, of course, socks are done on much smaller needles than hats or shopping bags are made with.

Currently I have a shawl and another pair of socks (toe-up this time instead of the top-down method I stuck with for the three pair I made earlier this year) and pieces for making a stuffed horse.  And I have about three more projects I'd like to start, as soon as I have a set of needles free in the correct size.

Scylla patterned sock (pattern free on Ravelry)
Second sock in this pattern is about 1/3 finished right now.

To top off my thankfulness for knitting, yesterday was the 2nd Anniversary of the opening of the yarn shop at which my lessons began.  I stopped in for a while to join the festivities, eat the yummy treats and the chicken chili, to purchase some yarn and needles for a project DD2 is starting, and to knit a bit in the company of many of the other regulars at the shop.

As part of the anniversary celebration, the owner of the shop was doing drawings for door prizes once an hour until the shop closed for the evening.

Well, I just happened to be there for the final drawing.  And, guess who just happened to win the grand prize.

ME!  Two luscious skeins of 100% Merino yarn, pattern to make either a beret or scarf from those skeins, the needles needed for the hat and the scarf, a bag to carry the project in, and a $25 gift certificate to the yarn shop.  Wow!

Yes, I'm thankful that I decided, nearly a year ago, that it was time for me to learn how to knit. I'm thankful that I love knitting, and that I'm still knitting.  I'm thankful for my local yarn shop, and the generosity of it's owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment