Saturday, March 8, 2014

I Found It!

Late last summer, my waffle iron died.  Well, to tell the truth it didn't fully give up the ghost, but when the outside of it got extremely hot, it started humming loudly, and I got a faint whiff of burning electrical, I yanked the plug out of the outlet and decided it was time to get a new waffle iron.

It was old.  How old, exactly, I do not know.  Older than myself, anyway. Being shiny chrome, and given the font of the owners manual, I'm guessing early 1960's at the youngest. It came to me in the early 1990s, when my grandparents sold off their rural acreage and were moved into a condo near my uncle in Ohio.  It was one of those appliances that Grandma had rarely used, and it was still in very good condition despite probably being thirty years old at the time. She didn't have room for it in the condo, so she gave it to me because in all the family, I am the only one who cooks much.

it used to have two handles,
the right one fell off in the last 7-8 years



I have used it well over the years.  So well, my kids never ate an Eggo at home.  In fact, they were astonished to find out, well into their school years, that you could buy frozen premade waffles at the grocery store!

It was with a heavy heart that I retired my beloved waffle iron last year.  We went about a month with no waffles for breakfast.  We missed waffles.  I mourned the death of my old waffle iron.  And since then, I have been searching for its replacement.  I did not want one of those waffle makers that makes one huge Belgian waffle at a time.  No, I don't care for Belgian style waffles.  I like my waffles square, and thin.  Crispy. Just like Grandma used to make.  ;0)

Do you know how hard it is to find a square, thin waffle iron these days?  Pretty dang hard.  Apparently today's chef likes single fat waffles with big dents in them.  Big dents to fill with ten ton of butter and syrup.  But that wasn't what we wanted.  We wanted multiple waffles, with shallow dents, dents that only held enough syrup to give the waffle a faintly sweet maple-y flavor, not totally cover up the lovely flavor of the waffle itself.

I finally found one, in February, that is nearly identical to the one Grandma gave me.  The new one is a different brand, and a little smaller.  It makes four square waffles instead of six rectangular ones. But otherwise, it is the same.  It has removable, reversible plates, and is called a 'grill, griddle and waffle maker'.





My new waffle iron arrived on Thursday.  As you can see, we gave it a test run this morning.  It works great.  Thin, crispy, non-round waffles, just like we're used to!


2 comments:

  1. I have my grandmother's circa 1930's GE waffle iron. My X rewired it for me in approx 1987, to the tune of 12 cents of wire from the local hardware store. She's still going strong! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. . . I didn't have the heart toss that old waffle iron in the trash. I figured those heavy old plates ought to at least have some scrap value. Now you've got me wondering if I ought to give it to my engineering-student son as a project to work on this summer while he's not got classes. Hmm. . .

      Delete