Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Yarn Along 2016.2: It's So Pretty!

Happy Wednesday to you. It's time to join Ginny for this week's Yarn Along.

I finished my snowflake dish cloth late last week.



No sooner did it come off my needles than I cast on for a Cicely shawl using the Malabrigo silky merino in the colorway Tatami that I bought in October while shop hopping.  I love the golden color of this yarn.  The color and shine are the two reasons I bought it, as it is DK weight and I have never used DK yarn before.  When I bought it I had no idea what I was going to make with it, I just knew it was going to be something to keep for myself.


And then I thumbed though the Fall 2015 issue of Taproot Magazine, and there it was: a Cicely shawl!  A perfect match for my golden yarn (I hoped anyway, as I wasn't sure it was going to swatch out exactly right).  Once I got around to casting on and making the gauge swatch, I was happy to see that it does, for me, swatch out perfectly even though I'm using DK and the pattern calls for sport weight (another yarn I have yet to use).

I am making the child size, intending to use it as a shawlette for myself since I don't really need a full-sized shawl right now.  However, as I'm working the lace edging and it keeps getting longer and longer and longer, I'm wondering if perhaps I might actually be able to wear it as a shawl.  I've gotten just 22 of 32 pattern repeats of edging (12 rows per repeat) done so far, and the thing is all ready over three feet long!  


This pattern is an easy one to memorize, and the lace is just flying off my needles.  It's 14-20 stitches per row, so a row takes hardly any time at all to complete.  I know the body of the shawl will go slower,with many many more stitches, but for now I'm enjoying instant gratification with the edging. ;0)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, your shawl will be beautiful! This shine and lustre on your golden yarn is stunning and the pattern is so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do love a bit of lace - yours is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful shawl. You have inspired me since I have this issue of Taproot and just started knitting this fun pattern. Happy knitting,Pat

    ReplyDelete