Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Yarn Along, March

I am once again joining Ginny for her monthly Yarn Along.



Books I've read since February's Yarn Along:

When The Bishop Needs an Alibi.  Very good mystery, kept me guessing right to the very end.

To Be Where You Are.  Excellent.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy visiting the residents of Mitford. It's been several years since I read a Jan Karon book, and I think I missed a couple.  I will have to hunt them down at the library and get caught up.

I am currently reading Hillbilly Elegy.  It was recommended by a millennial friend whom I've known since she was barely in elementary school. Being that I have both Appalachian roots (my paternal grandparents) and have been--like my young friend--living in a (relatively poor) semi-rural area for quite some time, I can't wait to read further in this book.  I've only just started it on Monday, but it is so completely relatable to me. My extended family, even DH's extended family (although none of them are Southern), even most of the population of our little village and surrounding area. . . they are all represented in this book.

Knitting has slowed down, a little.  I've been doing more decluttering & rearranging/reorganizing.  There is a bridal shower afoot, coming soon to my home, and therefore long put off household stuff is being addressed. Mid to late February was also the time to get seeds started for the garden--tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cabbage and the like.  Add to that the beginning of maple syrup season; knitting time is definitely decreasing.

I did manage to finish my Classy Slip-up socks. I really like how they came out. They are super comfy in a not-too-stretchy but not-too-tight way.  I will probably knit this pattern again in the future.




With those finished a few days before the end of February, I decided to grab a skein of fingering yarn that's been in my stash for several years--four, I think (I've only been knitting for five!)--grabbed a pattern I'd printed out about two years ago and never matched with a yarn, and immediately cast on for another pair of socks.  The yarn I'm using is Cascade Hand Paints, in a beautiful blues and green colorway--9809--and the pattern is Deflect.  With its cables, it's not quite mindless knitting, but I am having fun with it.  It's been a while since I knit cabled socks. Two years, apparently, as looking back through my blog posts, I found these.

Ironically, that was the pattern I thought of when I decided to cast on another pair of socks right away. But then I decided that the yarn I want to use right now would be too busy to do another pair of Cadence socks.  But that's okay, because I am enjoying making the Deflect socks just as much as I did the Cadence ones.  I think I just like making cables.  And I know I like making socks.  So, cabled socks, how could I go wrong?

Taking pictures of them, however, is proving difficult.  I can either get true colors, like the first photo in this post, or I can get a very dark photo in which you can actually see the cabling.




No comments:

Post a Comment