It will be the Friday Five, in which I will give five highlights for the past seven days in my life around this little place here.
For this week, here's my five:
1. Finding out about, and meeting DS2's girlfriend! He is such a private person, and doesn't feel the need for a lot of social interaction, that DH and I have long joked that we will only find out if he's dating someone when we receive an invitation to their wedding. So it was kind of a surprise to have him come home for dinner last weekend and bring a young woman we've never seen (nor heard of) before! Even more of a surprise to learn that they met nearly three years ago, and have been carrying on a long distance relationship (she lives on the East Coast). And yet more of a surprise to hear that he will be bringing her with him for Thanksgiving, and that she plans to move to Michigan next year and transferring to college here! So many surprises that I'm leaning toward making her official blog name Surprise, as it seems like she will most likely be joining the family and becoming a regular here.
2. Carving pumpkins with K3 and Toad. Not just carving the pumpkins, but walking through our garden and letting them each choose exactly the perfect pumpkin for themself. Also being visited by them on Halloween before they made their trick-or-treating rounds in the nearby village.
3. Our first snow of the season. Nothing that actually stuck, but it was a real snow, nonetheless. And Mayhem's first snow; it was quite entertaining to watch her try to figure out what the white fuzzy things flying around were, and try to leap and catch them.
4. Good rides on the California Horse this week. Definitely a week where I feel like we are making progress. Lateral work is getting more natural for me; we even managed 3-5 consecutive strides of good leg yield at trot in both directions.
5. DH got a decent six-point (4 on one side, two on the other) buck with his crossbow, so now we have red meat for the freezer!