Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Don't pick on the new kid!

That would be me.  Totally new to this thing called blogging.  Like most things I've done in life, I'm jumping in with both feet, praying for a positive outcome, and figuring it out as I go :) .  Life truly is a choose-your-own-adventure!

Today seemed like a good day to get started.  Stalls are cleaned, kids are at school, hubby is working, sap is collected for the day, and the current batch is on to boil down into syrup.  The weather has turned cloudy and chilly, hinting at sleet to come, so I'm sticking indoors as much as possible. I really should be getting our week's worth of bread going, but, well, starting a blog sounded a little more interesting.  Bread can be made a little later this afternoon.

Most of what we eat here is made from scratch, hence the need to not procrastinate too long about the breadmaking.  We're down to our last loaf.  With three teens living here, that won't last past lunch time tomorrow.

Alot of what I'll probably be posting about will seem I'm following in the currently popular eat local trend.  While I do eat pretty local (can't get much more local than off my own land!), I've been doing it longer than has been popular and I don't do it for political or social reasons.  I do it for my own reasons, most of which take too long to explain, lol.  It pretty much boils down to I do it because I want to,  not because anyone said I should.  In fact, I rather tend toward mulishness when it comes to doing things the way other people want me to: plant my feet firmly where I am and refuse to budge until I decide to do it.

Now it is sleeting, and I see three deer bolting across the wheatfield to the cover of the woods.  There are alot of deer out here where I live; it is a small farming community in lower Michigan.  We are lucky enough to be able to walk out the backdoor in the fall and be at 'hunting camp'.  Venison is the red meat in this house.  Perhaps in the future I will post some of our favorite venison recipes.

Tonight, though, we are having what is known as 'egg pie' at my house.  Because real men don't eat quiche you know.  So, in defernce to the masculinity of my hubby and strapping sons, I serve egg pie, never quiche.  My chickens have gone into hyperdrive lately and I am getting overloaded with eggs.  Time to start serving them with dinner!

Broccoli Cheese Egg Pie
1 9" pie crust
4-6 eggs depending on size
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups broccoli pieces, steamed

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Line 9" pie pan with the pie crust.
Mix remaining ingredients and pour into crust.
Bake 25-30 minutes until set.
Serves 4, or up to 6 with salad on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment