Monday, September 24, 2012

Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix

Just in time for the chilly fall weather to move in--had to cover plants in the garden again last night--I mixed up the first batch of hot cocoa mix for the season.  It's not complicated, but it does call for some ingredients the average kitchen might not have on hand.  I'm guessing, though, that most loyal readers of this little place here are a bit above average in their kitchens.  I'm guessing that their kitchens get used a bit more frequently than the average American kitchen, and contain a few more staple ingredients.

Without further ado, the recipe I use for hot cocoa mix.

2 3/4 cups powdered milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup powdered coffee creamer (optional, but does make a smoother product)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt

Five simple ingredients.  Sift all together, stir well to distribute the cocoa evenly, and put into an airtight container.

When I want a mug of cocoa, I use a heaping soup spoon of mix (roughly 3 Tbsp, I guess), then toss in a small handful of miniature marshmallows and stir in water that's been heated on the stove just until it steams.  I don't like boiling hot cocoa.  You can, of course, heat your water to boiling if you want..

This is a bit less sweet than the cocoa mixes you're probably used to from the store.  So, at first, your kids  might even say it's slightly bitter.  But after retraining your palate, you'll think this is tasty and the 'conventional' hot cocoa is way too sugary.


No comments:

Post a Comment