Friday, February 8, 2013

Yesterday. . . Today

Yesterday, after feeding horses at the horse farm in the morning, I went for a 2.5 mile run, outside.  At 8:30 a.m. it was a decent 25 degrees, light wind from the south, and the road was clear and dry.  I donned my cold gear leggings and a hooded sweatshirt, put on my running shoes and grabbed my mp3 player, and down the road I went.

Today, I woke up to a 5:30 a.m. phone call that the local schools are closed and therefore DD2 does not have to get up and go to school.  In the night, our 'winter storm' they had been advising us would appear shortly after noon yesterday finally showed up.  There was anywhere from 4" to almost a foot of snow on the ground, depending on if it was a windswept spot or a drifted spot.

I had to put the pick-up in four wheel drive to get down my driveway.  The road was a mass of white, with only a few tire tracks on it.  We live on a road that I don't even know if it is considered secondary.  It is two lanes, with a center line, but no white lines on the edges.  Heck, half mile north it doesn't even have the center line painted in.  The cross road half mile north, however, is a main road "it's the milk route" locals told us when we bought this little place here "it always gets plowed".  And it does.  There are several large dairy farms on that road.  I know the milk truck driver.  That road had been plowed and salted, although it still contained a good inch of slush the length and breadth of it.  At the intersection of my road and that road, the snowplow had made a foot high wall of snow I had to blast the pick-up through.  Fish-tailing.  Yeehaw!

Today I spent two hours, after feeding horses in the morning, plowing out the horse farm.  Two driveways, a parking area, two barns, a garage, an indoor riding arena, a sawdust bunker, four turnout areas, and a manure pile.  The wind was from the north, and driving wet snow into my face a good portion of the time.  Then I went home and had hot chocolate.  :0)

I definitely could not even consider going for a run on the road today.  What a difference a day makes.  That's Michigan weather for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment