Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Yesterday Evening, In The Field

As I was getting ready to make dinner, a deer being followed by a turkey caught my eye out in the field.  To see deer and turkeys in the field at the same time is not unusual, but this turkey was following the deer.  Everywhere the deer went, the turkey followed, for some 100 yards or more. 

It was kind of comical, as when the deer looked at it, the turkey would stop.  But as soon as the deer started moving again, it would keep right behind, never getting too far away.


After a little bit, the deer stopped, and instead of looking at the turkey, it ignored the bird.  The deer now stood looking toward the woods.  I went back to prepping dinner (chicken fajitas).  When I looked out again, this is what I saw:



Aww!  First time I've gotten a picture of a fawn nursing.  But wait!  In closer examination, I saw not one fawn butt, but two!  The next picture shows what looks like a fawn with two tails.  It is actually two fawns, one on each side of the doe, tandem nursing.


When they were satisfied with milk, they stepped away from mama and nibbled a few of the soybean plants.  It was much easier to see two distinct fawns at that point.




No comments:

Post a Comment