Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Not Homegrown, But I'm Preserving It

Last week, the grocery store that I frequent most often had fresh mushrooms on sale.  $1 per 8 ounce package.  That's less than half the regular price.

I like mushrooms.  DH likes mushrooms.  So, I bought six packages!  I worked two of those packages into our menu in the next few days.  The rest of them I decided to freeze.

First, I rinsed them, cut off the ends of the stems, and sliced them into about 1/4" slices.


Then I sauteed them in butter for 3 minutes, stirring often.




Next, I put them on cookie sheets and stuck them in the freezer to cool them quickly without washing off the buttery mushroom juices.

After about half an hour, I removed the cookie sheets from the freezer, scooped the mushrooms into baggies, and then put the baggies back into the freezer.

Mmmm!  Sauteed mushrooms for the future!  I think, next time they go on sale for such a great price I'll get five pounds or maybe more. I'd like to try dehydrating some next time too; for easier storage and use in soups or other saucy things.

No comments:

Post a Comment