Friday, March 29, 2013

Treasure In The Woods

This past weekend, DH spent quite a few hours out in the woods.  There were a lot of blown-down trees from this past winter, including a group of about six that were hung up in a big tangle, criss-crossed together and resting on a couple smaller trees that were bent nearly double but not broken off.

On Sunday, I went out and helped him cut and stack for about three and a half hours, and we worked on that big tangle, getting it about 80 percent down and cut.  Slight problem when one of the blown over trees, instead of sliding down to the ground as we cut it, tipped up into the air instead, using the live tree it was resting on as a fulcrum.  When that happened, we could no longer reach the trunk of the blow down--it was about 12 feet in the air and sitting horizontal!  So we moved on to a different area, and will wait for another good windy day to bring that darn tree down to earth where we can get to it.

On Saturday, however, I was busy with other things and could not go to the woods.  DH went by himself that day.  When he came in for dinner, he brought me a surprise.  He had found an old canning jar out there near one of the trees he was cutting up.  It's rather an unusual jar, not a pint, and not exactly a quart.  I measured water into it, and it holds about 3 1/2 cups. Tall and skinny, no markings on the sides.  On the bottom, however, I was able to barely make out a symbol I recognized--a capital letter H with an anchor over it.  Anchor Hocking!  It also has four digits, a hyphen, and the letter "A" on the bottom.  Unfortunately, I can't quite tell what the digits are.  3-something (6?  8?)-3-another something.

Anyway, I scrubbed it up and took a picture of it.


Then I put a vintage pint sized canning jar next to it for reference, and took another picture.



Then I did some Googling.  What I managed to find out is that the anchor-over-H logo was used between 1937 and 1968.  So my 'treasure' is a minimum of 45 years old, possibly 76 years old.  How cool is that?


No comments:

Post a Comment