Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Yarn Along: June

I'm once again joining Ginny for this month's Yarn Along.

First, I'll confess that I have not read one single book.  I've read almost 200 pages of a book (The Nourishing Homestead: One Back-To-The-Land Family's Plan for Cultivating Soil, Skills, and Spirit) but I really haven't been reading hardly at all and am quite a ways from actually finishing the book.  There's been a whole lot more outdoor work going on lately.  Plus, the library is still closed!

I have, however, done a fair amount of knitting. I finished section 3 of my Hue Shift afghan.


This is so much fun to knit up, I had to literally remove my yarn, pattern, and needles to a different floor of the house to keep myself from immediately casting on the final section, section four.

Instead, I cast on for a pair of socks for DD1's upcoming July birthday.  She prefers shortie socks, so that is what I am making. I'm winging it again as far as a pattern goes, using the shifting rib chart from Socktacular for one repeat on the leg (after 12 rows of K2, P2 for the cuff), then an eye of partridge heel flap, shifting rib on the top of foot for as many repeats as I need for size and an easy rounded toe.


The yarn is some Knit Picks Chroma fingering in the Carnival colorway.  I was intending to make the socks match, but several dozen yards into the ball of yarn, it had been spliced, so even if I did measure out to the same color to cast on for the second sock, the color changes aren't going to be the same. Bummer.  I'm nearly to the heel turn on the second sock, and honestly I'm still not sure I like the big splotch of orange and muddy yellow at the top of the sock.  Might just rip this one out and start where the red turns to purple or the purple turns to blue, and then use the orange and blah yellow in the toe to finish if necessary. Somewhere that they're less in-your-face.  We'll see.  Because other than that color change, I really love the colors in this yarn.

How has the past month been for you?  Reading much?  Knitting anything?


2 comments:

  1. Isn't that so frustrating, to come across a knot or split in the yarn? The colours are great and I must admit, I never make mine match. The Nourishing Homestead is a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in a major reading slump (and knitting slump, for that matter) lately. But I think I finally found a book to hold my interest.

    I love reading homesteading books (either the ones that teach you things or are about someone's homestead). And my knitting slump seems to be over too! Love the afghan and the socks. I'm sure it's not what you are going for but I love that they don't match!!

    ReplyDelete