Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Hunting. . . Waiting on the Deer.

So, day one was a bust.  Hardly any deer seen, none taken, or even aimed at.  Day two began with high hopes and slightly cooler temperatures.  In my bundling up against the brisk west wind, I forgot to bring the camera with me in the morning.  But, ended up I didn't have anything to take pictures of anyway, except for trees.  No deer, and strangely, not even any birds that morning.  Usually I see at least a half-dozen different kinds of birds, and always chickadees.

The morning hunt of day two was dismal.  No shots in the neighborhood (did everyone go back to work after opening day?), and no deer sighted or even heard on our property.  Sat just as long as the day before, then went into the house to warm up. 

Brief interlude from 'hunting camp' to do some grocery shopping, then back into the woods about 3:00 p.m.  The air temp has dropped and the wind has gotten even stronger.  In my stand, I realize that I'm way too close to the open field--not enough of a windbreak and I'm going to be pretty frozen by the time full dark arrives.

I did, however, remember to bring the camera. So, for your viewing enjoyment and a taste of what happens to your mind when you sit in a tree stand for hours in cold weather without seeing any deer, I present:

Pockets I sewed into the inside of the tree stand skirt when I made it.  Very handy.  Looks like I should have sewed on a few more ties, though, to counteract those pockets.  It's kind of saggy.



My knees, showing off my new camo pants (bought on clearance last Feb. for $7 if I remember right).  I've never had camo pants before.  Really like my new britches!  Now my legs look like trees :0)



Strange but sort of pretty fungus growing on a tree, way up in the air.  The next day this same stuff was totally black and deflated, probably from the cold overnight temperature.


Woodpecker holes in tree behind me.


Fox grapes (wild grapes) still on the vine, about 20 feet in the air.  Those wild grapes just grow and grow and grow, eventually smothering their host tree.  I'm really surprised no birds had eaten them yet.


End second day, still no deer.  Even less shots heard in neighborhood.  DH & I getting frustrated; we're using up valuable time off work sitting in the woods looking at trees, squirrels, fungus, and grapes two stories off the ground, but no deer.






No comments:

Post a Comment