Monday, December 19, 2011

Look What I Made!

This is especially for those of you with wee little ones in your life.  Here is something I made my niece (born at the end of September) for Christmas.

It's called a "Bapron", or baby apron.

 I got the instructions here: http://www.craftinessisnotoptional.com/2011/05/bapron-tutorial.html

Super easy to make; even beginner seamstresses should find it doable.  For the advanced sewer, you can make self-bias tape like I did, or you can 'cheat' and use purchased bias tape.  Start to finish, it took less than an hour to create. 

It has a 100 % cotton novelty print on front.



And pale yellow cotton flannel on back.  The bias tape at neckline makes the ties for around baby's neck, while the bias tape at the shoulders make armholes, hence the 'apron'. 

Total cost outlay: probably less than a dollar, as it uses so little fabric.  The print was a discounted 'end' I picked up for less than $2 for about a yard of fabric, the flannel was leftover from a baby quilt I made 10 years ago, and I made the bias tape from the print rather than buying pre-made bias.  I have enough of the print leftover that I could probably make 3-4 more.

(For those that may have noticed, yes, I did cut the fabric wrong--the print is upside down on the bapron.  My excuse is that now my niece can 'read' it when she is wearing it--looking down at it--LOL.  Really, I forgot when I was pinning the pattern to the fabric to check the direction of the print.)

No comments:

Post a Comment