Friday, April 15, 2011

Spring sports = granola bars!

Wednesday was DS2's first track meet of the year.  Being that it's time for Spring sports, it's time for me to get busy making granola bars again.  That's what my kids take in their bags to their meets and games for a healthy pick-me up snack.

Tuesday afternoon I made up the first batch of 2011, and actually remembered to take pictures as I went so I could share the recipe and the process with you.  Granola bars are super easy to make.  I have to confess mine aren't quite as sturdy as the ones from the store; they tend to crumble if not handled carefully, but I like to think they are cheaper and definitely healthier (no HFCS!!).

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1 egg
2 Tbsp canola oil (or oil of your choice)
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup peanut butter chips
1/3 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips (I was out of minis so I used 'regular' sized ones)

The ingredients


In a large bowl, stir together the peanut butter, honey, egg, oil & vanilla.

(Not sure why this picture uploaded like that, but it's not supposed to be vertical!  Anyway. . .)
In a medium sized bowl, add together all dry ingredients, except for the chips, and stir.

Add the mixed dry ingredients to the large bowl of wet ingredients, and stir.

This is what it looks like when it's all been mixed: kind of sticky!

Now add the peanut butter chips and the chocolate chips.
Stir those in to distribute well.

Spread into a greased (or lightly buttered) 9"x13"x2" pan.
I use my fingers to make sure it's spread out evenly and firmly pressed in the pan.
Then bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Cool for several hours, then cut into bars. 
You'll want them to be completely cool before cutting, or else they will crumble and not hold their bar shape.
I usually cut down the center of the long way of the pan, then about every 1.5-2" on the short way.
Wrap the bars individually (for packing in sports bags) or, if you're not toting them around, just store in an airtight container.
And that is how I make granola bars.  They are such a favorite that if I intend them to be solely for sports events, I have to wrap and dole them out to their intended recipients.  Otherwise they disappear quickly and won't be around on the day of the meet or game for my athletes.

Oh, and DS2's times were so well at Wednesday's meet that he will be running in today's Invitational.  His senior track season seems to be off to a great start.  :0)





No comments:

Post a Comment