Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A Few Quick Projects

I have a sewing project to do that I'm a little nervous about.  I know I can do it, but it's kind of an important one, and part of me is afraid that I'll mess it up.  You see, DS2 asked me to hem his new suit pants. Easy, right?

But these aren't just any suit pants.  These are the pants to the suit he will be wearing when he stands up in his best friend's wedding in February.  And when he stands up in the wedding of another long time friend in July.  And when he says his own wedding vows in August.  (These guys are really smart thinkers; instead of renting tuxes or suits three times this year for these wedding they will all be in, they decided they would all wear the same suit in the same color for all three weddings, and just go ahead and buy suits.  That way they save money in the long run and have a suit to wear for other formal occasions too.)

So, while I know that I can do a great job on a simple tailoring task such as a hem, I decided to do a couple of other quick and easy sewing projects first.  To bolster my confidence, as it were.

First, I whipped up some new cloth napkins/bread cloths to cover dough while it rises.  These were all made from fat quarters acquired during a trip to Shipshewana last summer.  In fact, the lighter colored fabric was sort of a birthday gift to me from DD1.  She had intended to make these cloths herself and surprise me with them, but she had trouble with the tensioning on her mother-in-law's sewing machine and so quit after the first one. When she gave them to me, she informed me that my gift was "some assembly required".  She had measured and cut them, and even ironed under the hem allowance, but had only sewn the hem on one.

It was quick and easy to finish the other three.  And while I was at it, I got out some fabric that I had set aside for the same purpose.  Using the same dimensions as the ones DD1 had started, I cut and sewed the edges of two more.  Now I have six new bread cloths!


I think these bread cloths are the bees' knees!

The bread cloths are just 18" x 18" squares.  I ran a basting thread 1/4" from the edge (using my handy dandy 1/4" presser foot normally used when piecing quilts), ironed the hem under on that mark, and then did a fancy top stitch over all four edges, which caught the raw edges on the underside.


Having accomplished that, I was motivated to work on another sewing project right away.  I made a pair of pillowcases for K3 and Toad to use when they come spend the night at this little place here.

Minions for my little minions.   :0)

Now I'm ready to tackle DS2's wedding pants.  Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment