Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Yarn Along: January 2019

This afternoon I am joining Ginny for this year's first Yarn Along.

I finished my Glacial socks! (aka my Alaska yarn socks)

The second sock came off the needles on Dec. 30th. After languishing untouched for about two weeks while I sewed a bunch of Christmas gifts, it only took an estimated two days of focused knitting to get from a half-done leg, through the heel, the foot and the toe.   The pattern really doesn't show up too well in the photos; it's kind of like diamonds that ripple down the sock.  Reminds me of how the melt water from a glacier forms rivulets that braid together as they run down the outwash basin.




Once my socks were finished, officially completing my 2018 knitting, I consulted my list of crafty projects I want to make in 2019, and chose my next knitting endeavor.


Technically cast on before 2018 was totally over, my first project for this year is a pair of October Leaves fingerless mitts.  This is a pattern and yarn (such a yummy Alpaca/polyamide mix) that my Mom picked up two (? I think) years ago as a seed club offering and passed on to me as she typically doesn't do 'small' knitting--anything finer than worsted weight yarn.  Being busy at the time, I set it aside (not with the rest of my stash) and it ended up buried under a pile of stuff until recently.  Yikes! Yes, I have some piles of fabric, etc, in my house that really are that old.  (Hoping to resolve that this year; hence the list of crafty projects to make in 2019. . .)

With her birthday coming up in February, I decided that this would make a perfect knitting project for January. She'll be very surprised to receive these fingerless mitts as a birthday present.



I'm not very far along on them,  just through the cuff and first repeat of the first chart on the first mitt, and all ready I am in love with this yarn.  Looking at the yardage given on the pattern, and what the label on the yarn says, I should have enough yarn to actually make two pair of these fingerless mitts.  So. . . a second pair later in the year for myself?


No comments:

Post a Comment