Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Yarn Along: May

Happy May!  Happy Yarn Along Day!  I am joining with Ginny to talk about what I've been knitting and reading in the past month.

It was a busy knitting month.  First, I grabbed a bunch of scrap acrylic yarn, and, using the mitered square technique learned working on my Hue Shift afghan, I whipped up a doll sized afghan for K3.

The Yarn Thief approves; 
she thinks it's cat sized rather than doll sized.

I also finished section 2 of my Hue Shift, and recently began working on section 3.

section 2

1st row on section 3

I went on a dish cloth making jag; making a second cow-themed dish cloth for Surprise's birthday present, and then two dish cloths for my own kitchen.


Hay Baby dish cloth

Cheep dish cloth
(color in pic is atrocious, it's actually a nice light ice blue)

Open Star done in scrap cotton yarn

Whew!  But that's not all!  I saw a sock pattern on Ravelry that made me think of a 50g skein of heathered pink yarn I have in my stash.  So I made myself a pair of ankle socks using that yarn and the Fairy Maiden sock pattern.


And if that wasn't enough knitting, I decided to see if I could make Mom a pair of anklets using the yarn left over from the speckled skein she had provided that I had made socks out of in March (talked about here).

Well, the short answer turned out to be no.  BUT, I got bold and found some leftover sock yarn from 3 other projects that seemed to go fairly well with the colors in the speckled yarn.  So I pulled off a pair of rather bright shorty socks as a surprise for Mom. They have K2P2 cuffs for 12 rows, then K6P2 repeats on the fronts of the legs and tops of the feet.


With all that knitting going on, I didn't do much reading.  Confession: I tried one book (the last one I had from the library), couldn't get into it and after 60 pages gave myself permission to put it down.  Michigan is still on Stay Home lockdown, so the libraries remain closed.  I went digging through my personal collection for a work of fiction (most of my home library falls into non-fiction and reference).  I came up with All the Stars in the Heavens and managed to read the whole thing, although I thought about ditching it more than once. It reads well in some places, but in others it's like reading someone's school report: mostly names and dates without much interesting meatiness. 

I am so anxious for this lockdown to be over and to have access to the local library again.  It's been nearly two months, and as of yesterday, there is at least a month more to go before libraries will be allowed to reopen.

No comments:

Post a Comment