Sunday, July 25, 2021

Did You Know?

 Did you know that you can smell corn in bloom?

I'm guessing probably not.  As, well, corn is a vegetable, we don't think of it as having flowers, and you have to be near a big field of it at just the right time to pick up any aroma at all.

Several years ago, in late July, I noticed a really lovely flowery smell one evening as I was driving home from the horse farm I was boarding at at the time.  I can't really describe it, exactly, but if I say kind of like the sort of smell that lilacs have, or hyacinth, hopefully you'll get an idea.

It took me a few days, and a few more exposures in the evening as the sun was going down and the night air is coming in, to figure it out.  The corn was fully tasseled, and the delightful smell was coming from the cornfield!

Now I look forward to that smell every summer; I eagerly await the night that the corn first smells like the best floral perfume you've ever experienced.  This week, that night happened.  And for the last several days, when I go out in the evening to shut chickens in their coop for the night,  I take big breaths and savor the smell of the corn in bloom.



No comments:

Post a Comment