Thursday, August 5, 2021

Knitting Update, August

( Oops, forgot to post this yesterday. )

August knitting update:  I have actually been knitting, a little bit, lately! Yay, me! 


In progress is the second of the three Christmas stockings I'm making for DD1's family.  I'd say I'm halfway to the heel on this 2nd stocking currently.  I'm really liking the fair isle aspect, although it's not knitting I can do away from home.  Just too much to keep track of with floats, and changes of color, and not messing up where I am on the chart. . . 

So I had to start another project to be my portable one.  This will be a pair of cotton socks for my Dad, who is allergic to wool.  It's been several years since I made a pair for him so I figured it was probably about time for another.  I'm doing the Rubia pattern in a gray and blue.  Sort of Detroit Lions colors, DD1 said to me when I showed her what I was working on.
 
I've actually read a couple of books lately too! 

Till Death Do Us Tart by Ellie Alexander, another of her Bakeshop mysteries.  I'm slowly working my way through this series, just 2-3 a year, so I don't read them up faster than she's writing them.

The Wife's Tale by Aida Edemariam; I truthfully only picked this book because I wanted to fulfill a box on the library summer reading program checklist (read a book about someone from another culture) and it was available to checkout the day I was looking for something to fit that requirement. But I'm really glad I did because it was an interesting look at a woman from Ethiopia not just culturally , but historically and in terms of religion too. (I guess I wasn't expecting her to be Christian? Although her Christianity differed a lot from my Lutheran religion.)

Her Amish Wedding Quilt by Winnie Griggs was a book in a Grab and Go Bag from the library (another box on the summer reading program checklist--read a book from a Grab and Go Bag).  I wasn't sure I'd like it, as I've tried numerous authors of Amish fiction in the last 20 years or so and have only truly liked maybe a handful of those authors, but this one I actually read all the way through and might try another book of hers.

Currently I just started another book that was in the Grab and Go Bag; Letters From Home by Kristina McMorris.  I'm not even through the first chapter yet, so I really can't give an opinion on this one.

(In case you're wondering what a Grab and Go Bag is, last year when our library was closed for in person browsing, they came up with the Grab and Go Bag program.  You request a bag, give the age range you are looking for--young child, early reader, juvenile, young adult, adult--and 5 topics or genres that interest you. The library staff then peruses the shelves in your local branch and chooses 5 books for you. Even though we can finally walk in the library in person and look on the shelves as of June this year, in late July I decided to ask for a Grab and Go Bag again. My request was for adult level reading, with interests in history, mysteries, Amish fiction, quilting, and homesteading or farming.  I was given a book set during WWII, an Amish romance, an Amish fiction, two mysteries, and because one of the long time librarians who knows me must have filled my bag, there was also a (sixth) book of quilting patterns thrown in!)

No comments:

Post a Comment