Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Knitting Update, October

 Whole lotta knitting happening lately.  Mostly because I've still been under restricted activities so that my knee can rest.  Ha.  I'm getting rather tired of going about 40-50% of my normal daily anything and not having my knee be all rested and better by now.  But, that's a subject for a different post.  This post is about knitting!


DD1's Christmas stocking (#2 of 3 for her family) is done!  Well, the knitting anyway.  It still needs embellishing with button and beads, but that won't take nearly as long as the knitting did.

Faline's Christmas stocking (#3 of 3) is about 1/4 completed. I'm through her name and ready to start the part with the wreaths and Christmas trees (one tree front, one tree back).  Should definitely be completed by the end of this month.

When I don't have the elbow room for a big basket with multiple colors of yarn feeding out of it into a Christmas stocking, I've worked on the Rubia socks for my Dad. I'm doing them in sort-of Detroit Lions colors; light gray and a royal blue and decided to do the leg and foot in gray with blue in the colorwork, heel, and toe.

In August I had gotten the colorwork on the leg done, but it seemed too tight for a man's leg, so I unknit it back to the cuff, went up to a size 2 needle, and began the colorwork again. Ahh, much better.  It looks huge and loose in the picture, but in person (in sock-son?) it is not gigantic and baggy.  I decided, for the sake of time, I wasn't going to learn the heel included in the pattern, and subbed in a regular ribbed heel flap (in blue).  Currently I'm about six rows into the gusset.  This morning I have to drive DH to and from a medical procedure, and should be able to complete the gusset and at least an inch or two of foot while waiting for him.  That's my plan, anyway.

Reading has been way less than in the previous update.  I gave up on Murder at the Cherry Festival, just couldn't get into it; the writing was a bit jumpy--like just not smooth or well edited--for me and it was interfering with my being able to concentrate on the story line.  So I gave myself permission to set it down and read something else.

Turned out I read three something elses instead:

Lost Hills by Lee Goldberg sucked me in and I read it quickly.  I'll definitely be looking for more in this series.

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center was another just plain enjoyable book by this author.  I like that her books don't have flashy characters or ritzy settings. Rather, they are like ordinary people in real-life situations you might come across.

Piece by Piece by Laura Bradford, I found a little predictable, but not too bad.  I'm rather a harsh critic, but I might look for more by her.  Or not.  Depends on my reading mood, I guess.

Right now, I'm between books. I have several on request at the library, one of which came in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment