Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Sewing/Stitching Update, October

Zero sewing has been done in the past month, despite my intention to start working on a quilt that is planned to be a Christmas gift.  Nothing like putting pressure on myself to whip off a large throw sized quilt in just two months!

I do have the pattern chosen, and the fabrics pulled from stash.  I'm using 10" neutral precuts as the background, and going with just two other colors (that I need to cut into 10" squares), so hopefully once I actually get my rotary cutter slicing into fabric everything will go quickly.


I wish the colors were truer in the above photo, the white-looking fabric is actually ecru/natural tones and the greenish is much prettier than pictured.

I'm going to use the Disappearing Hourglass pattern by Missouri Star Quilt Co., altering it a little to make the quilt slightly smaller.  My plan is 5 rows of 5 blocks each, and then the borders widths as written.


While I wasn't sewing at all, I did do a whole lot of counted cross stitch while Faline napped on my babysitting days. She's taking an hour to hour-and-a-half afternoon nap these days, so that really gave me lots of crafting time.  



I finished the Nordic Santa I was making as a gift for my Mom.

Then, since that went so quickly, I decided to see if I could start and finish another perforated paper beaded cross stitch design before DD2's birthday in early October.  Yes, I could, and I did!  And she loves it.  It reminds her of the study abroad she did in Peru back in 2017, which was what I was hoping, as it is an Andean Santa.


I have to confess that I might be slightly addicted to these little cross stitch kits.  I found many more on Amazon and Ebay, and have about 4 more waiting to be made.  There's another 4 on my wish list and watch list. . .   

At first, I was intimidated by the thought of doing the beading, but the directions are very clear and once I started stitching on the first bead, all fear went away. It really was easy (although it definitely requires me to wear my reading glasses while handling the beads!)



No comments:

Post a Comment