Friday, February 3, 2023

Saving My Onions

 Last year, my onion crop did pretty good.  The varieties I chose, I picked for their storage life.  Even so, some of them are starting to go downhill a bit down in the basement.  

Not wanting them to go to waste before we can get them eaten up, I sorted through the crate of yellow onions (the reds I grew have a longer storage life) and diced up any that were starting to get the slightest bit squishy or show signs of sprouting.  I ended up filling two cookie sheets with diced onions.  

These went down into the chest freezer overnight to flash freeze for better pourability. The next day I scooped them into freezer bags, ending up with two quarts of diced onions for future use. The frozen ones are great in omelets and on pizza. . .  And any time I need onions for a recipe but am short on time to peel and chop them.



In a few weeks I'll sort through the onion crates again, and chop and freeze more if needed.  I have enough onions that I should be able to make it to this summer's harvest without needing to buy any if I pay attention to my stores and not let them go bad before we can eat them all.


No comments:

Post a Comment