Wednesday, July 12, 2023

A Little Sewing; July Update

 There's been a tiny bit of sewing going on in the past few weeks.  I made one last quilt block, a scrappy/strippy 9-patch using the same purple paisley fabric as the blocks I showed in May and June.



Then, I started working on a project that had been requested by DS1's kids. . . When their mother died in April, they had each been given a small teddy bear by the Gift of Life organization (K2 had been a registered organ donor).  In late May, Toad asked me if I could make his bear some clothes.  K3 quickly chimed in that she'd like some for her bear, and Rascal also said his bear wanted something other to wear than the green Gift of Life t-shirt it had come in.  

So I asked for a bear to volunteer to come stay with me for a little bit.  I needed to measure it and make some prototype patterns.  Then, here and there, as I had a bit of extra time, I began to sew new bear clothes.  K3 even picked out some fabric for the clothes for hers when DD1, DD2 and I took her and Faline with us on our annual overnight pilgrimage to Shipshewana.


striped pajamas 
(made from an old tank top)



color-block style pants

I have lots more bear clothes that need to be made yet; K3 wants a couple two-fabric shirts and Rascal wants a red t-shirt, plus Toad has a whole summer wardrobe in mind. It's just hard to find the time for sewing right now, as when the weather isn't favorable for working outside then I need to be inside catching up on housework!


Here and there I've put a few stitches into the cross stitch Santa that's been in progress since March.  All the stitching and back stitching are finally completed, and I just need to do the beadwork.  That can wait until Fall, especially because I need good natural lighting and the only crafting time I have right now is at the end of the day after dark (10 pm-ish).




Meanwhile, I do need something to stitch that can be easily picked up and put down (so not a sewing machine project). I chose to start another counted cross-stitch, this one of folk art roosters that I bought the pattern off Etsy several years ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment