Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Knitting Update; July

 My Quadrille socks are finished!  The yarn is a much more RED red than shows in the pictures, and is also slightly tonal.





Of course now it's consistently near or over ninety degrees outside (and in Michigan, that means it's also humid), so I haven't worn them yet.  Barefoot the majority of the day as well as the night this time of year.

Despite the hot weather, I cast on for a shawl, LOL.  This one I'm making with some of the yarn DD2 brought me back from Peru in 2017.  Given where it came from, it's kind of right that the pattern I am using is called Travelling Woman.  The yarn is either a lace weight, or a light fingering, I'm not exactly sure. It came in a very large cake I barely stuffed into my yarn bowl, but without a tag or any sort of identification.  It's luscious soft wool yarn, and I can't wait to see how this shawl turns out.  I'm using the instructions for the fingering weight version and making the large shawl.  If I run short on yarn (I think there's plenty here), I have a coordinating color I will use on the lower portion.  That is also yarn from DD2's trip to Peru.



Reading wise, I finished Breakfast with Buddha.  There are more in the series, but for now anyway, I think I'll skip them.  Parts of the story were really interesting, and others not so much.

I didn't finish Dressage Training Customized before it was due back to the library, but I did find it useful enough that I hunted down a copy on eBay and purchased it for my own personal library.  I will consult it in future months.

Currently I have two more library books I'm trying to read simultaneously before they are due back (one next week, one the week after):

  • Beyond the Track: Retraining the Thoroughbred from Racehorse to Riding Horse by Anna Morgan Ford.  So far, a lot of it is stuff I all ready knew, and training techniques I have used with many, many non-racehorses.  In other words, my usual MO when working with a new to me horse or starting a horse under saddle. I have picked up a few new kernels of knowledge though,  and am liking the book overall. I have an ulterior motive for reading it, but you'll have to wait for a future post to find out more.
  • The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald.  Can't really say much about this book so far, I picked it up as a not-much-attention-required read to take with me on a short trip DH and I took the eldest three grandkids on at the beginning of this month.  I think I might be on chapter two, or maybe three.  It sounds interesting, so hoping to read it before it needs to go back to the library.



No comments:

Post a Comment