Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Summer Stitching & Sewing Update

 There hasn't been much sewing.  I cut out the rest of the pieces for the dress I intended to make Faline back in early April (that I totally got waylaid by the death of K2 and didn't touch for months).  It's a summer weight dress and more than likely won't fit her next summer, so I really need to get it sewn up before the weather turns too cool for her to wear it. 

 Unfortunately I got through the sewing of the bodice (and bodice lining), sewed the side seams on the skirt and had intended to sew the two pieces together yesterday (including installing the side zipper) when I discovered that the second page of the instructions is missing!  ARGH!  It's been so long since I started this (like late March) and so much has happened since then, and my sewing area is such a complete mess at the moment, that I don't know where the heck that needed second page is.  (Bash head here).  



It's been a long time since I made a dress with a zipper, so long that doing the side zipper thing isn't clear in my memory.  I'm pretty sure I sew the skirt and bodice together at the waist, starting and ending either side of the zipper opening, and then put in the zipper, but I could be wrong.  I'm sure I can find that info online these days even though the pattern itself is 10 years old or more.

While my sewing area has suffered from lack of regular attention (and tidying!!), I have done quite a bit of cross-stitching in the past month.  A little here and a little there in the middle of a hot afternoon (when I'm hiding inside from the sun) or to relax after dark at night once the outdoor work has been halted and before I get into bed, has really added up quickly.



The more I stitch on it, the more I like this piece.  It's very folk art-ish and reminds me of the decor of my early childhood (1970's).  It's also going to go very well in my chicken kitchen.

See my little fox needle minder in the above picture?  Well, the other day I thought to myself how much I like it, and wouldn't it be nice to have more than one, so I didn't have to steal it off one project (the Santa that is done except for the beadwork) in order to use it on another (this chicken thing).  Which resulted in me taking a quick peek at the needle minders currently offered by the Fat Quarter Shop, where I bought the fox one.  And lo and behold, they had some really cute ones. So I just may have treated myself to not just one additional needle minder, but three.  Although I might give one to K3; she's been showing an interest lately in maybe learning to do counted cross stitch.




No comments:

Post a Comment