Wednesday, September 13, 2023

September Stitching Update

Overall, there was extremely little sewing going on at this little place here in the past month.  Right after the August post, I found the missing page of directions and finished putting together Faline's dress.  

I happened to be babysitting her and Buck the next afternoon while DD1 was in a meeting at school, so I gave it to her just before they left for home.  Faline loved it.  In fact, as you can see from the photo below, she insisted on putting it on right then and wearing it for the remainder of the day.


It fits her really well, and even has enough room in the bodice (the part I feared might be too tight) to put a shirt under and wear even as the weather cools this Fall.  Faline will be starting preschool this month, so it works out really well as something comfy but nice to wear to school.

I cut out pieces for some more Gift of Life bear clothes for K3, Toad and Rascal's bears.  So far I have only finished a yellow sweatshirt for Toad's.  He was here the next day and saw it, so it went home with him before I got a chance to get a picture.  A good hour at the sewing machine and I'll have lots more bear clothes done.

What really got a lot of my 'free' time recently is the folk art rooster counted cross stich that I've been working on since July.  This was a really nice piece for picking up and putting down as time allowed; typically I would work on one certain piece--a vine, a small flower, one color of the rooster--and then set it down when I ran out of time that day.  It was easy to keep track of where I was in the chart that way, and gave quite a sense of accomplishment even if I only had half an hour to devote to stitching.

All the stitching is completed.  Now I need to come up with a circular frame to finish it with.  I could use an embroidery hoop, but I'm not quite sure that's the exact look I want to frame it with.


Early in August, I kitted up a new Santa cross stitch ornament.  I needed something that would travel easier than the rooster piece (less likely to get dirty) as we headed up north for a weekend of canoeing/kayaking and going to the Bump & Run derby at the county fair where DH grew up.  I worked on this new Santa actually very little on that trip.

Last week, DS1 had sinus surgery, and had asked me to be his transportation to and from the hospital.  Since it was an outpatient procedure and we weren't sure exactly how long we'd be there I brought along the Santa and stitched on that while waiting in the surgical lounge.  

I got a ton done; previous to that day only the red parts of the hat were stitched.  Everything else was stitched during the hours I waited for DS1 to have his surgery and be in the recovery area.  (He came through it fine and so far has had no issues post-op.)


Now that the sun sets much earlier in the evenings, there will be more time for sewing and stitching (and knitting, and reading, and. . . )  I'm itching to start working on some Fall birthday and Christmas present sewing and quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment