Saturday, October 7, 2023

October Knitting Update

After not knitting much, last month I set myself a knitting goal for my Traveling Woman shawl: one row per night.  That has really made a huge difference!  Three repeats of Chart A done and I'm about half way through the fourth and final repeat of Chart A.  I also decided, since I'm making the largest size and am not sure exactly how much yarn I have, to add in a second color for every other repeat of Chart A.  So I'm using not just one of the yarns DD2 bought me during her study abroad in Peru, but two of them!  And they are looking lovely together. 


After Chart A is repeated for the fourth time, there is Chart B, which has a total of just 19 rows, then the bind off. I am really getting excited about finishing this shawl.  It seems doable now.  Amazing what just one row a day can accomplish.

Reading, I finished two books in the past month:

Forging On by Catherine Robinson.  Loved it so much I ordered the next one immediately after I finished it.  Non-horse people might not find it so interesting, although the relationships between the main characters are pretty universal so could appeal to more than just the horse crazy.

The Heirloom by Beverly Lewis.  Latest novel, pretty good.  Interesting weaving of known characters from other books into this one; ties them to each other plus gives a little more insight into some.  Makes Ella Mae Zook a main character this time rather than being a cameo or side character in many other Beverly Lewis books.

I'm currently alternating between two other books:

The Creative Art: A Way of Being by Rick Rubin.  Short bits of thought, sometimes reading it takes much less time than mulling over what was written. There are things that are pretty thought-provoking.  At risk of sounding like the 1970's child I am, some of it is "pretty deep, man."

Meet the Frugalwoods: Achieving Financial Independence through Simple Living by Elizabeth Willard Thames.  I've only just started this, so far it reads like a story rather than a non-fiction tome.  Which is good as I'm in the mood for something easy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment