Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Frugal Things January

These are the frugal things DH and I did in January:

He went to the farm store for four more wooden posts needed for the third pasture we are cross fencing (corner post between pasture 3 & pasture 4, plus 2 gate posts and a brace post for pasture 3) and paid exactly ONE DOLLAR thanks to rewards points we had with that store's loyalty program and credit card.  Every time I buy bedding or feed or any other horse farm related expenses, I put it on the account and earn points which tend to add up quickly.  The account balance gets paid off monthly from part of the income I get from boarding.

We continued eating mainly from the freezers, cellar, and pantry.

I made bread instead of buying it.  (Due to muscle cramping issues when kneading dough, I did have to buy bread a few times in December.)

DH went and picked up a free cord of dried firewood from his sister's neighbor who was doing a yard clean up and decided they weren't ever going to use the wood. It wasn't the highest BTU wood, but it was free and did last a couple of weeks during the coldest weather we've had this winter so far.

I used money received as a Christmas gift to buy a waffle knit cooler for Poetess and brackets to hang halters on the stall doors.  The cooler was on sale, and I got a bulk discount on the brackets because I ordered six (planning for when we have all six stalls built and in use).

I bought DH 2 pair of Duluth jeans at 30% off.  He finds that these jeans are nice and sturdy, wear well, and are super comfy (if your guy hasn't tried Duluth Ballroom jeans, DH recommends them!)

Bought future birthday presents for Rascal and Faline for half off after Christmas at one of the farm stores I shop at.

Gave DH a haircut.

Went to a used tack sale where I spent less than $100 and came home with more than $250 worth of equipment.  Everything I bought looks like it's brand new/very lightly used and should last me longer than I actually plan to be in the horse business (I mean, I'm over 50 all ready, I don't think I'll be mucking stalls and training other people's horses 20 years from now).  Plus, since most of it is western tack, which I kept very little of after deciding my passion was dressage 30 years ago, I was in need of it for when I/we get a horse that the grandkids can ride and I can use to give beginner lessons on.


No comments:

Post a Comment