The Mountains We Call Home by Kim Michele Richardson. This novel was published earlier this year and is continuing the story of the main character from The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek (that I read several years ago). I first saw it in Meijer while grocery shopping, and, I kid you not, took a picture of it so I would remember to see if my library had it. They did, and I borrowed it. I'm so glad I did. It is heartwrenching. Yet so, so good. I highly recommend reading it.
Persuasion by Jane Austen. Can you believe I've never read Jane Austen? I feel like this book was slow and hard to get into, maybe because the writing style differs so much from 21st century writing? But once I perserved to keep reading past all the descriptiveness of early 19th century English societal structure, etc., I was very much invested in finding out what would happen to the characters.
A Smoking Bun by Ellie Alexander. Book 18 (? I think) of the Bakeshop Mystery series, I can't believe it's been about ten months since I read the last one. I used to have to space these out to limit myself to only 2-3 per year so I didn't blast through the series faster than the author was writing them. But then, as I read the book, I can kind of understand why I didn't read it sooner. I'm kind of falling out of love with this series. Something about the writing seems to have changed. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it doesn't keep me spellbound like the earlier ones did.
You Could Make This Place Beautiful by Maggie Smith. I've seen this book mentioned a lot on the internet this year, and I finally decided to request it from the library. I had such a hard time putting this book down. Each 'chapter' is short; anywhere from 2-3 lines to a few pages, and they not only relate to each other, but, in my opinion, to a lot of women's experiences divorced or otherwise. Plus, I love the cover art. I can't tell you how many times I picked the book up and examined the cover details before opening it to read. Pretty much each and every time I sat down to read!
The Unveiling of Polly Forrest by Charlotte Whitney. Hmm. I had previously read and enjoyed another book from this author, and so had sought out more from her. This one just didn't speak to me as much. Some of it was good, other parts I felt the writing was lacking. It sort of gave off a self-published vibe, which in my definition means could have used more editing. Not that I found any typos or grammatical errors, but that the story felt sort of unpolished and some of the descriptions of Michigan gardens/farms and what was ripe when did not jive with my 30-some years of gardening in the same growing zone of Michigan as the book is set in. So that threw me off a bit. I did finish the book, although I'm not sure I'll look for more from this author.


No comments:
Post a Comment