Sunday, November 25, 2012

Squash Recipe #4: Squash Sticks (Squash "Fries")

Another first-time tried squash recipe for me.  We were having venison burgers for dinner after processing DH's 9-point, and I wanted something to go with them other than french fries or sweet potato fries.  With my abundance of squash, I wondered if I could make squash fries.

Apparently you can make squash 'fries'.  After searching the internet, I found several recipes for squash fries or sticks.  The deep fried ones were battered, which I didn't think I wanted to fuss with that particular day. So I chose one that you make in the oven.  Less mess, and more health, right?  ;-)

Another super easy squash recipe--hooray for super easy recipes that don't say "take a can of this and a box of that. . ."!!

All you do is take your butternut squash, peel it, cut it open, scoop out the guts, cut into sticks that are about 1/2" thick, put them in a baking dish in a single layer, drizzle on some olive oil, season with sea salt and pepper, then put in a 450 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

That's all there is to it.


As you can see, there wasn't much left of two medium size squash once we were done with dinner.  The squash sticks reheated well the next day and I ate them for lunch. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment