Friday, November 30, 2012

Squash Recipe #5: Maple Acorn Squash Slices

This week I wanted a recipe to use some of my acorn squash since those don't seem to keep quite as long as butternut squash do.  Personally, I'm not much of a fan of acorn squash; I think they're much blander than butternut.  So I try to avoid the usual sliced in half with butter and brown sugar way of preparing them.

Searching through my cookbook collection, I came up with a recipe that sounded pretty tasty.  I decided to make it to go along with a venison stroganoff I had planned for dinner.

The recipe comes from the 1999 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes book put out by Taste of Home.   In the cookbook, it's simply called Acorn Squash Slices, but to differentiate it from other sliced acorn squash recipes, I added the word "Maple" to the front of the title.

It's very simple to make, and it went marvelously with the venison stroganoff.  Without further ado, here is the recipe:

2 medium acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/3 cup chopped pecans

Wash your squash.  Cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and guts, then cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices.


Place the slices in a greased 13" x 9" baking dish.  Sprinkle with the salt.

Measure out your maple syrup


and mix it with the melted butter.  Pour over the squash.  Sprinkle the pecans over everything.


Cover with foil, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Homegrown squash with home made maple syrup.  Yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment