Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Another Grandbaby Quilt

Had DD1's baby shower this past weekend, so I can now write about, and show pictures of, the quilt I created for my fourth grandbaby.  And this one is pink!  Yes, the girl/boy grandchild count is about to be tied up at two each.  :)  

I am one excited grandma!  DH is thrilled too, although now they definitely won't be using the baby name he thought up for this child who is due to arrive during deer season: Buck Hunter.  LOL.  Will have to save that idea for future grandson.

DD1 and Honorary Son are keeping mum as to what her name will be, so I guess we're going to have to wait another 6-8 weeks for her to get here before we find out what we'll be calling her. 

Like the quilts I made for DS1 & K2's kids, I wanted this one to have a variety of fabrics that had significance.  However, I wanted to patterning the be different for this next group (assuming DD1 will have more kids in the future), so I made what I thought was a slight, easy change.

This one has stars alternating with unpieced "solid" blocks.  Stars are not that difficult to sew, and they add some visual interest.  However, sewing thirty-one 6" stars and getting them all nice and square and not cutting points off, well, that was not so easy.  Also getting such little pieces of fabric for the points and not losing the print of the fabrics, well, also not so easy.  In the future I will be more mindful of the size of the prints in the stars. Smaller is better. Non-directional would be a good idea too.

Overall, though, I am pleased with how this quilt turned out.  DD1 loves it, and that's what's more important.


I see stars!



birds on the backing, and butterflies too



hand sewing the binding to the backing
(took four hours!)



No comments:

Post a Comment