Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Stepping Out, Horse Edition

 Camaro and I have been working a lot lately.  4-5 days every week, no matter the weather.  And we've had some really hot and oppressively humid weather.  But it's amazing how much you can accomplish just at the walk (hello bending, walk-halt transitions, leg yielding, perfecting the arc of 10m and 20m circles, square halts. . . )  Sessions don't have to necessarily be longer than 20-30 minutes to be productive. . .

We've worked outside more, both in the outdoor arena and just wandering the farm.  And I've been doing up his mane and forelock in braids and riding with those in place so that he gets used to them and they don't signify any reason to be tense.

Because. . . 



We're going to a show!!

It will be the second time in my life, and the first time in over 30 years, that I've shown dressage.  It will be Camaro's very first dressage test ever (fingers crossed he doesn't have issues with the little fencing/rows of white cones that will outline the arena; we only have a mish-mash of colors and sizes of cones taking up one side of our impromptu dressage arena in the indoor where I board).  Like me, he's shown before, but it's been at least 3 years, which is probably pretty equivalent in horse-years to my 30 year absence from showing.

I'm so excited!  And so nervous.  And apprehensive that my family (mostly DH) can handle me being unavailable to them for the 3 days Camaro will be at the showgrounds.  

We are riding Into A on Saturday, and Intro B on Sunday.  Just two tests.  One each day.  Both are walk and trot, no canter.  

I think we can handle that without getting overwhelmed.  I just pray he keeps consistent contact with the bit and doesn't revert to camel-mode with his nose horizontal to the ground.


He's definitely not as excited about his braids as I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment