Sunday, November 14, 2021

Grateful, November second Sunday

 This growing season was kind of rough, with what seemed like a week of heat and humidity without rain followed by a slightly less hot week with a deluge of rain, followed by heat/no rain, followed by literally 3-4 inches of rain in a 24-36 hour period. Repeat, repeat, repeat.  There were many times I uttered the words "welcome to the tropics of Michigan" because of the ongoing humidity and heat.

Having my knee out of whack added another level of difficulty to keeping the garden weeded.  Not only was it sometimes too hot, sometimes too humid (hello potential heat stroke), sometimes too darn wet to even step in the garden (sink in mud to my ankles); bending and pulling weeds really made my knee hurt and swell up.  

So did bending and picking veggies when they ripened.

It was overwhelming quite often (depression high, blog posts low), trying to work mornings, babysit two afternoons a week starting mid-August and still find time to pick, can or freeze the veggies (and sometimes fruits too), plus make meals every day and sort-of keep up with housework.  And rest my knee, of course.  Starting in late July the doctor told me to stay off my feet as much as possible (I laughed and said that wasn't very possible given the time of year).  

Even with all those challenges, it was still a productive year in terms of growing and preserving food. The  cellar is quite full.  

Here we are in mid-November and the bulk of the food producing work is done.   And for that, I'm grateful.  A bountiful season.  A full cellar. We will have lots to eat this winter.







Firearm deer season starts tomorrow.  I'm also grateful for that.  It's time to harvest some red meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment