Sunday, December 18, 2022

Mystery Food

 Several years ago, I wrote this post about a frozen hunk of meat that had been given to us by my mother in law.  It was missing it's outer wrapping and any identifying marks, so I referred to it as mystery meat.  Once I finally decided to gut it up, thaw the dang thing and cook it, I found that it wasn't too bad.  If I remember right, it ended up being pork and I made lots and lots of shredded pork dishes with it.

So, last year at Christmas time, when we went up north to visit Mother-in-Law, and she wanted to send us home with a bunch of items from the local food pantry that she'd ended up with and wasn't going to use any time soon, I wasn't afraid to take the can that was totally missing it's label.


mystery can

It was most likely a vegetable or a fruit, judging by the size and type of can.  So I felt pretty confident that whatever it ended up being, if it was something DH and I didn't like (fruit cocktail, for instance), I could feed it to the chickens and thus turn it into something we did like: eggs!


At some point over the summer, I felt adventurous, and took that mystery can out of the pantry to include with that night's dinner.  With anticipation not unlike unwrapping a birthday present, I applied the can opener and took the lid off of the can.  What would I find inside???



a mystery solved


Beans!  It was a can of green beans!  Phew!  We eat those. Although it's been many years since I've had them in a can from the store; typically I grow and can enough each summer to last a full year or more.  

They were little short pieces of bean, about 1" long, with lots of end pieces, but they tasted good.


No comments:

Post a Comment