Laughed Til He Died by Carolyn Hart. Liked it. I picked this up at the Spring book swap not realizing it was number 20 in a 26 book series! That said, it read well as a stand alone, although I do think I may have read one of the earlier novels years and years ago. The main characters felt familiar. Anyway, this mystery has a quick pace, lots of characters, not gory and also not too cutesy like I find the modern (last 8ish years or so) cozy mysteries to be.
Summer State of Mind by Kristy Woodson Harvey. Sucked me in right from the start. While I didn't like how some of the characters behaved (way too rapid met-to-bedroom for me), I did like the story even if it did seem to resolve a little too quickly and easily in the last few chapters. Compared to most of the book, which had many messy complex things about the characters, the last portion just wrapped up everything too neatly and 'everybody's fine with it' for me to find believable.
The Shippers by Katherine Center. This is her newest rom-com and it was absolutely the most perfect beach read to take with me on summer vacation. I loved it. I devoured it. I could have easily read it in one continuous reading marathon if there hadn't been family with me to interrupt my reading time.
Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson. This is another book I picked up at the Spring book swap. I threw it in my suitcase while packing for vacation in case I finished my other book I was bringing along (which I did). And, while I do like the author's descriptive style, I have to confess that overall the book just felt like it had no real point and I started to struggle with my desire to keep reading it right around page 70 or so. I kept going to page 120-something and decided to DNF it.
Call It Horses by Jessie van Eerden. Another book swap find. I have to admit I just opened it near the end of the month, so haven't read enough to have an opinion of it yet.

No comments:
Post a Comment