Last week, I canned the half-bushel of tomatoes that DH had brought home from his run up north with the borrowed truck. Did I have room in my schedule to can tomatoes? No, not really. But here they were, and they only stay good for so long.
So, after getting two horses worked one morning, I spent the next roughly six hours canning tomatoes all by my lonesome (DH was working in-office that day). Would it have gone faster if I had had a helper? Not that much. Most of the time factor was because each canner load takes 40 (pints) to 45 (quarts) minutes to process after the canner comes to a rolling boil. With 6 quarts and 14 pints to put up, that meant three canner loads.*
Why did I not do all the tomatoes in quart jars and cut down to two loads instead of three? Because, with just DH and I here, there's only a few recipes I make that require an entire quart of tomatoes anymore. I would rather take an extra hour-ish to do a second canner load of pints than, throughout the coming year, have multiple times where I have a half-jar of tomatoes that is opened and needs to be incorporated into a meal in the next few days before it goes bad.
Invested time now saves me from potentially wasting time and food later if I have opened jars of tomatoes that don't get eaten soon enough and have to be thrown out. That would waste the time I spent now canning them, plus half a jar of tomatoes. Hence many more pints than quarts got canned.
*The rack in my canner can easily fit seven pint jars at a time. Quart jars, sort of, if they are the narrower kind and not the fat-round type.
No comments:
Post a Comment