Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Sewing Stuff September 15-21

 In the last two weeks, I got organized in my sewing area, and with the 'finding' of space enabled by a) putting things away and b) removing some of the stuff that didn't belong there in the first place, I allowed myself to actually sew.  Starting with finishing a fleece blanket that DD2 had started, had problems with, and dropped on me several years ago (at least three, probably more).

Well, that brought my sewing mojo back!  Suddenly I had the urge to dive back into this creative outlet.  So I started a quilt kit that I'd purchased in 2025.  Here's what I did during the third week of National Sewing Month:

September 15, I ironed and cut the green fabrics in my quilt kit.  Most of the pieces for this quilt are cut from fabrics in a 10" stacker, but several of the greens call for more pieces so the kit added in extra fat eighths and/or fat quarters of those.


September 16, following the diagram in the instructions to see which fabrics paired with each other, I made all the sets of HSTs (half-square triangles) for the top left quadrant of the quilt.  I also paired up, but did not sew, the sets of HSTs for the top right quadrant.

chain pieced HSTs

September 17, I sewed the top right HSTs, then matched fabrics and sewed the HSTs for the two bottom quadrants, which called for fewer HSTs than the top section.

September 18, Following the pattern, I made the six rows that are the top left quadrant of the quilt.  I confess, it was really hard to stop there; I was itching to get those rows sewn into the entirity of that quarter of the quilt.  

September 19, I did just that!  Six rows, sewn together into the top left fourth of the quilt.

Top left quarter.

September 20, I grabbed a little extra time in the sewing area, not just fifteen minutes.  I made the six rows of the top right quadrant, then sewed the rows together to make that quarter of the quilt.  Then, I put the fabric pieces for the next quadrant into little piles according to which row they will make.

Top right quarter.

September 21, I sewed together the pieces for the five rows of the bottom left quadrant of the quilt.  If it had been a rainy day, I probably would have given in to the urge to stay in the sewing area longer and sew those rows into the whole big chunk for that part of the quilt.  Alas (as far as sewing goes), it was finally not raining, and so I had lots and lots of outdoor stuff to catch up on before the next batch of rainy weather arrived.


No comments:

Post a Comment